Students who are enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at one of the participating UMASS institutions are eligible to study as an exchange student for one or two semesters at a Hessen state university, university of applied sciences or art academy within the Hessen-Massachusetts Exchange Program. They can also apply for one of the Hessen International Summer Universities (ISU), the International Winter Universities (IWU) or the International Undergraduate Study Program (IUSP) at the University of Marburg.


For the various International Summer Universities (ISUs), International Winter Universities (IWU) and the International Undergraduate Study Program (IUSP) no German language skills are required. German language courses are offered on all levels; the academic course work is taught in English.


For a semester or academic year study at one of the Hessen universities, students will need German language skills. All Hessen universities offer pre-semester German intensive language courses mostly free of charge for exchange students. In addition, there is a language training program along with course work especially designed for international students. For those who do not have sufficient German language skills: You will also find courses in the regular curriculum of various departments at the Hessen universities, which are taught partly or entirely in English.



Application for the Hessen:Virtual Academic Short Term Programs (Hessen:VASP)   In 2021 the International Summer Universities (Hessen:ISUs) at the Hessian universities will... more...